Meatball, Spinach & Red Onion Panini
When I need to make a quick, hearty lunch for the kids, or for a bite to eat in the afternoon when on a break from yardwork, I turn to the Meatball Panini. It’s definitely tasty, filling, and rather comforting. The recipe that I have uses lean turkey meatballs, but you can always use your favourite beef meatball recipe, or a soy-based vegetarian alternative if you desire. The sourdough bread provides an additional dimension to the panini, as the texture is soft, yet more dense than slices of Italian bread, and it has more flavour.
Meatball, Spinach and Red Onion Panini Recipe
- Turkey meatballs
- baby spinach
- red onion diced
- pasta sauce (with garlic)
- part skim mozzerella cheese
- sourdough bread
- butter or margarine spread
- Preheat panini press, or panini pan & lid on stove at medium high (gas 7).
- Cook meatballs as directed, cut in half, set aside.
- Butter outsides of bread, turn over and spread pasta sauce on insides of bread. Sprinkle cheese then arrange half slices of meatballs on bread. Sprinke more cheese on top, then add red onion and spinach. Cover with other slice of bread.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes until cheese has melted and bread is golden.
- Cut and serve warm.